Welcome! Please Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the BSD Community!

I thought it’d be great to introduce ourselves to allow us to connect and get to know each other better. :slight_smile:

A few example questions to kick things off:

• Tell us a little more about yourself! (where you’re from, cool hobbies, unique skills?)
  • If you’re a teacher, where do you teach and what age groups/grades?
  • What subjects do you teach?
  • How have you used tech in your classroom?
  • Have you had any coding experience before?

I’ll start!

I’m Gabo, I’m currently an Instructor at BSD in Hong Kong (but originally from Toronto, Canada). I teach web development (HTML, CSS, JavaScript) to ages 7-17+ in various after-school programs and classrooms, develop curriculum for teachers, as well as build content for BSD Education. My hobbies include martial arts, weightlifting, sci-fi/fantasy, veganism, and playing video games.

1 Like

My name is Danny, I’m originally from Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom…a true Geordie! I moved to Hong Kong 6 years ago and I was working at an ESF international school as an Educational Assistant for 5 years. Now I’m currently an instructor at BSD, primarily working on the Robotics & Hardware curriculum and creating contents for Launchbox. My hobbies are running, hiking, cycling, training at the gym and going to the cinema.

3 Likes

Hi! I’m Karan, I’m currently an Instructor at BSD, Hong Kong. Originally from Hong Kong but spent most of my high school and university years in Bangalore, India. I generally teach students between 7 and 17 years old and build content for the web development, app development, and game development cores. My hobbies include playing cricket and traveling.

1 Like

Hello! I’m Jack, I’m a Computer Science major at Drexel and I grew up going back and forth between the US and Beijing. I teach web development to kids 6 - 17 both onsite at BSD and at various schools in the Philadelphia area. I love video games, tea, fantasy books, and my cat, Mrs. Peanutbutter.

3 Likes

Hi! I am Mo - an Aeronautical Engineering student turned educator. A TCK who grew up in India, attended University in the United Kingdom and have worked across India and Hong Kong. I started my first business in Education at 19 and the second business (again in Education) got acquired when I was 23. After this I began teaching Entrepreneurship and cooking at the Hong Kong School of Creativity.
I joined BSD in 2016 as the Curriculum Director - in my role I balance between managing the Education Team, ensuring our curriculum and platform is attaining the highest standards of education and pedagogy globally, running our robust R&D process and Professionally Developing the teachers we work with.
In my free time I love hiking, travelling, reading, cooking and organising social events.

1 Like

Hey, I’m Matt, originally from LA, I moved out to Philly to study CS at Drexel, and will be graduating next year. I would like to go into engine or tech art design for games once I’m done with school. I’ve taught game design and coding here at BSD for a wide range of schools and grades. I love Unity, weightlifting, and Tiki Thursday.

`
My name is Sam, I’m from Somalia. I lived in Hong Kong for the past four years.

I am course instructor at BSD I teach students between 7 - 17 years old and create content for the Web Development and I manage RefuGeek organisation which is initiative under BSD.

My hobbies are meeting new people, reading, cycling, watching movies and most of all playing football (soccer).

1 Like

Hello, my name is Ding, instructor at BSD.

I studied games computing and animation, love tech and art, always looking for ways to combine the two and create new experiences. Lived and worked in the UK and China, pretty new to HK and loving it here.

2 Likes

Hello :slight_smile: My name is Eva, the Curriculum Manager at BSD. I am a qualified teacher in Media Studies and Yoga teacher-in-training. I got into Education through my JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme) experience as an English teacher. I enjoy sharing ideas with fellow educators in how to provide a future-proof, balanced and holistic learning journey for students of all ages. Feel free to message me here to start a conversation about your classroom :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey all :wave: I’m Nick. I’m a new instructor here at BSD, and I’m excited to start teaching in schools next week! I graduated school in 2016 and worked in software development until last month. Education is something I’ve had on my mind for a long time, and after working as a TA in school I became even more interested in it, so I’m glad to finally be working as an instructor! My hobbies are music, video games, sports, and writing. I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone better as time goes on.

3 Likes

Hi,

I’m Ed Ruby. I’m a high school Social Studies teacher at Radnor High School in Radnor, PA. I teach 9th grade Government & Economics and 10th grade World Studies classes. All of my students have iPads and we use a lot of different applications in my classes. I have limited coding experience, but I look forward to learning and using it this summer.

3 Likes

My name is Hesam and I’m a computer scientist and researcher with a focus on programming. I’m also a mobile app developer. More recently I’ve turned my focus on education of programming and computer science and other sciences, especially in schools. I’ve taught CS, programming, app development, math, science, and yoga in middle and high schools in California for a year, and have designed courses for the classroom and the Udemy online. I have just joined BSD Bangkok as a tech ed content developer and I’m excited about contributing towards the leading edge tech-empowered education platform for the schools across the world.

3 Likes

Hello everyone. My name is Wendy, I am a pre-engineering/STEM teacher at the middle school level in Washington TWp (Gloucester County), NJ. I teach 3D design, alternative energy, Robotics with Lego MIndstorms, Structures, Woodworking, Model Rocketry and CO2 dragster design.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone! My name is Jamie Parker and I am a newer teacher with BSD. I have taught digital media, mostly video game design and film making, in Los Angeles since 2007. I moved back to the Philly area about a year ago. I am currently pursuing a Masters in Applied Technology in Education. I am always looking to learn more tech skills and share them with today’s youth!

2 Likes

Hello all!

My name is Nick Jackson, but folks are calling me Jackson to avoid the confusion of a million Nicks. I’m a computer scientist learning to teach! I have an affinity for digital languages and I enjoy finding intuitive ways of explaining the weird and wonderful world of electronic computation.

Outside of cyberland, I enjoy music, tea, movies, cooking, and exploring the outdoors.

I look forward to working with you all and contributing to the company and the cause.

Cheers,
Nick (Jackson)

2 Likes

Ying%20Yang%20Dragon
Personally, I enjoy using this profile pic any time I can. I am also thinking of using the tag “Ctrl+Z” as my profile name. Nice to meet everyone!

1 Like

Hi I’m Matt a school administrator working at a large comprehensive high school in Newark. I’m looking forward to seeing all the great things that not only our students are going to do but what everyone else here is going to be doing.

1 Like

Hi!! I’m Marissa and I’m a Hebrew teacher at a public school in Harlem, NYC. I’d love to hear ideas of how you have integrated coding in Foreign Language classrooms. I don’t have any experience myself! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pamela_Butler
Good Morning All! Excited to learn this new application. Going to share it with the new students in September… Have a great Autumn!

1 Like

Hello All, I teach in Brooklyn NY and I’m looking forward to teaching computer science courses to my K - 6 students this coming school year.

1 Like